Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On the Fourth Day of Christmas...

My favorite kind of music is A Capella. So, naturally, today's version is by an A Capella group called Straight no Chaser:



Today, along with your gift, y'all get a fun tid-bit about "The Twelve Days of Christmas". The line "four calling birds" is actually a common mispronunciation of "four colly birds". A colly bird is another name for a blackbird - like the four and twenty baked into that famous pie.



On to the gift. Though today's 12 version isn't by a barbershop quartet, they are my favorite kind of vocal harmony groups. Here are four delightful videos for you to enjoy:

This first is from "The Music Man", one of my favorite musicals. True, this isn't completely A Capella, and, true, Shirley Jones sings as well but I don't think either of those things detract from the song as a whole.


This next one is less interesting for its soundtrack than for its fascinating timeline of men's Barbershop Quartet Fashions from 1939-2008. Look out for 1950 (the original Buffalo Bills) and 1972 (the most terrifying suits I've ever seen):


The third is fun not just because of the spectacular vocals, but also because of the nostalgic television show theme songs!


The fourth is a great personal nostalgia moment for me. I had the Simpsons music CD as a kid, and I must have worn it out for listening to it so much. My favorite track?


This extra one is just plain fun. Crude language warning (but it's worth it)!



Nostalgically and Musically Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?