Monday, January 11, 2010

Prop 8

How is it that anyone can defend the idea that a homosexual-parent household is detrimental to a child's upbringing?
If the logic is that a child needs a mother and a father to be happy and healthy, then single parents should not be allowed their children.
If the logic is that children of same-sex parents would be unhappy because of ridicule in school and such... well it isn't the same-sex couples' fault that children are uneducated, and it should be the school's responsibility to see that all children are treated equally.

Some will say that this isn't the basis of the argument, that it's a matter of principle that "marriage" is between a man and a woman. Well, if there's a secular argument for that, I'm willing to listen. The problem is the only things I've heard people explaining is that "that's what god intended". Well that's fine and dandy for religious marriages. The legal union of man and man or woman and woman will not affect how you run weddings in your church. That's the church's business - as outlined in the Constitution.

Speaking of the Constitution, I seem to remember something about all men being created equal (the term "men" here including all of mankind), but the inability to marry whom I wish actually makes me a second-class citizen. If I'm not treated equally under law, why should I pay taxes? It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, if you're reading my blog, you already know most of this. I just felt it had to be said.

Nostalgically yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?