Monday, February 21, 2011

Music Mondays - Katy Perry EMA 2009 Medley

While searching for videos of the 2011 Grammy Awards performances, I somehow stumbled onto this video from the 2009 European Music Awards. Katy Perry opened the awards program with a medley of all the "Best Song" nominees: I Gotta Feeling, When Love Takes Over, Use Somebody, Halo, and Poker Face.


If you're wondering what all that "Katy Kat Club" business is and why they turned 'Halo' into a polka, then hold on tight - the 2009 EMAs were held in Berlin. Why is that relevant? Because Berlin is the setting of the iconic film, "Cabaret". Observe:




Liza Minnelli - Mein Herr
Uploaded by djoik. - Watch more music videos, in HD!


Ta-da! Just another case of modern artists inspired by the work of the great Bob Fosse, who choreographed and directed "Cabaret". Though the medley itself was a bit off-putting, I think Perry did a good job with the movement, and the choreography was true to Fosse without being a complete rip-off.


What do you think?
Nostalgically Yours

Post Script: Because of my move back to the city, I now have many more responsibilities than I did living in New Orleans. This means that posting every day will be impossible for me. Instead I've decided to post between two and three times a week (more if time allows), so you'll hear from me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from now on. Thanks for sticking with me!

Photo Credits
Katy Perry: Just Jared
Liza Minnelli: City Lights: A Film Blog
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?