Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Tony Awards - Best Dressed

I know it's long overdue, but I thought you might like to know what I thought of the Tony gowns. Before I do, I would like to share with you a picture you will find hilarious if you follow theater news:





I did not create this image, nor do I own it. All credit goes to the original author


Anyway, back to business. I'll start out by saying that Sean Hayes did an incredible job hosting. The highlight of the evening was, of course, his and Kristin Chenoweth's big kiss. According to Us Magazine, the kiss came in response to claims from Newsweek that Hayes couldn't convincingly play Chenoweth's husband in their Broadway hit "Promises, Promises" because he was openly gay.





Photo credit: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com


And here I thought they were just playing off the string of same-sex kisses at awards shows we've seen recently!


Moving on to the best dressed. These are not listed in any particular order, just some of my favorite gowns, who wore them, and why I thought they were fabulous.




Catherine Zeta-Jones




The "Little Night Music" star really knows what colors suit her. Pastels look lovely on her dark complexion. The form-flattering bodice is beautifully detailed with piping and ruching, and the light, airy skirt hits her hip just right. She opted for a simple pair of earrings which compliment the complexity of the bodice, without distracting from it.



Cate Blanchett




I always admire risk in award show dress, and Blanchett really put herself out there in this silver pant suit. She looked spectacular, and she dealt with the question of "What blouse can I wear with a metallic suit?" very well! Simple make-up, hair, and accessories made sure the look didn't go overboard. Kudos!



Idina Menzel




The former "Wicked" star shows off her raven hair in a matching princess line gown with a white embroidered floral motif radiating from the waist. Another great example of how detail work can really make what might otherwise be a simple gown really special. Again, no jewelry (I smell a trend) and simple makeup and hair round out the look quite nicely.



Scarlett Johansson




I have to say that I was unimpressed with this gown until I saw a photo of it online. I had no idea it was green! Up close the rows of sequins and/or embroidered jewels are actually visible. The detail work on this gown is amazing, and I very much like the extra straps. Yet again, only earrings and a great pompadour complete the outfit, and if it weren't for the awful color of her nails, this would be a perfect ten.



Viola Davis




I've seen this color green in many stores, in fact my mother owns a dress in exactly this color, however I rarely see it worn by women. Here is a great example of how risk-taking in fashion can really pay off. Color can be especially dangerous because of its dependence on the light source. Colors onstage can look drastically different to color in a photograph or in natural lighting. I have yet to see a bad picture of this dress. Stunning.



Photo credits go to CBS and Huffington Post

Some honorable mentions include: Helen Mirren (but really, when doesn't she look fabulous?), Laura Bell Bundy, Lea Michelle, Paula Abdul, Bebe Neworth, and Bernadette Peters. Though I adore Kristin Chenoweth, I felt that she and Jada Pinkett Smith looked a bit out of place in their super-trendy, super-short dresses.




Nostalgically Yours


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?