Monday, June 11, 2012

Movie Mondays - The Great Gatsby

Many of you have probably seen the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's upcoming interpretation of what is probably one of the single most famous novels ever written: F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby:




Since Lurhmann announced the project in 2008, Gatsby has been the center of much controversy and debate by movie-goers and Fitzgerald fans alike. The casting process was quite drawn out, even Luhrmann himself considered dropping out of the project at one point, but instead we found ourselves with:
  • Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby
  • Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan
  • Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway
However, it isn't the stellar cast that is causing a ruckus, it's Luhrmann's portfolio. Many people worry that the subtlety of Fitzgerald's novel will become a grotesque comedy of manners. Luhrmann himself has been quoted as saying that he intended to use this vehicle as a timely social commentary on the ever-increasing gap between the upper and lower classes, as well as the behaviors of the wealthy. Others criticize Luhrmann's departure from accuracy in his portrayal of the 1920s in costume, setting, and especially music. They worry that his splashy directorial style will take away these extremely important elements to the plot.


The first trailer for the film came out on May 22nd, 2012. It did little to quell fears. In fact, it has given new fire to the debates, for all of the aforementioned reasons:




I will say I'll be pretty disappointed if Luhrmann doesn't end up using at least some period music. After all it is a huge element of the period. The setting and costumes, while highly stylized, seem to work for me. I also definitely get the sense that the intimacy and the intensity of the relationship between Daisy and Gatsby is well executed. I'm ambivalent. I don't feel comfortable making a call until I see the whole movie. I guess I'm hoping mostly for a Daisy Buchanan that I don't find completely and unbearably obnoxious.

I'm looking at you, Mia Farrow.
What do you think of the movie? Will it be a smash or a stinker?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?